Tui Na Chinese Massage is a complete form of bodywork utilizing manipulative therapy, acupressure points, and advanced massage techniques that help to remove obstructions in the channel (meridian) pathways by promoting an increase in Qi (vital energy) and blood circulation, correcting the displacement of joints and healing soft tissue injuries. Tui Na Chinese Massage encourages proper functioning of the internal organs, helps to regulate the nerves, increases joint mobility, relieves neuralgic pain and facilitates cellular tissue detoxification.
What Can Tui Na Do?
Tui Na massage therapy is traditionally employed to treat a variety of disorders and symptoms. Below is just a sampling of some of the conditions that can be alleviated by Tui Na:
- Muscle strain and tightness
- Sprains and contusions
- Joint stiffness
- Stiff neck
- Facial paralysis
- Lower back strain
- Lumbar disc problems
- Tennis elbow
- Frozen shoulder
- Common cold
- Post-stroke rehabilitation
Benefits of Massage
- dilates blood vessels, improving circulation and relieving congestion
- increases the number of red blood cells
- acts as a “mechanical cleaner” hastening the elimination of toxins
- relaxes muscle spasm and relieves tension
- increases the blood supply to muscles and joints
- improves muscle tone and prevents atrophy
- can partially compensate for lack of exercise in persons who because of illness, injury or age are forced to remain inactive. In these cases, massage helps to return the blood to the heart, easing strain on this vital organ
- may calm or stimulate the nervous system, depending on the type and length of massage
- useful in weight loss. According to some authorities, massage can burst the fat capsule in the subcutaneous tissue so that the fat exudes and with proper nutrition and exercise becomes absorbed.
- increases the excretion of fluids, nitrogen, inorganic phosphorus and salt in normal individuals
- encourages the retention of minerals necessary for tissue repair in persons convalescing from bone fractures
- stretches the connective tissue, improves its circulation and nutrition and thus breaks down or prevents the formation of adhesions
- disperses edema following injury to ligaments and tendons, lessens pain and facilitates movement
- empties the larger ducts and channels, thus decreasing the autointoxication from the re-absorption of toxic materials
A Tui Na Session with Paul Olko
When a patient comes for a session with Paul Olko they can expect a treatment that is tailored to their specific needs. The session will consist of massage and acupressure. Additional modalities such as cupping, manipulation, external herbal applications, moxibustion, Guasha, functional exercises, Qigong and self-massage instruction may also be utilized.